Monday, September 3, 2012

A Bittersweet Day of Clay

Today was bittersweet. My boyfriend is amazing and when buying the new carseat for Connor, he saw a hot glue gun and got it for me. It makes me feel so loved when he thinks of me while he's away. Unfortunately, his job requires him to work quite often and Labor Day doesn't matter to treadmills. So, while he worked, I thought I might return the gesture and make him a little keepsake. I made the plaster out of cornstarch and baking soda, and I absolutely cannot wait to try this again. I will be the first to admit they are NOT perfect! There's some cracking, and the edges of the handprint molds are unshapen, as I forgot to place the dough in a round saucer or bowl to keep them clean. This was definitely fun!

The bitter part was the realization that my friend, Sara, will be Afghanistan soon (if not already). She is admirable, brave and doing something I could never do. Even though we haven't seen each other in a few years, we talk often and have been friends since we were 12. I am still so sad to hear of her  going to a war I don't believe in. As far as I'm concerned, we are DONE over there, it's been 11 years. Do we really need to instill decomcracy in every single Middle Eastern country? I digress. All I know is that her wedding reception in May is going to be a huge celebration. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment